Saturday, February 3, 2007

Iron Awe

I spoke with a friend of work about this, and he mentioned that a mutual friend was also looking to get into shape. In fact all three of us started a casual steak eating 'club' which we had called Iron Awe.

So I sent out an email to gauge interest.

A,

L and I were enjoying a caffeinated beverage on the banks of the Yarra recently when I mentioned to him that I had set myself a goal to participate in a triathlon in the next 3 years - 'bout 2009 or there abouts, as I was striving to get fit, and I thought it worthwhile to set a goal. L said the masters games was on and he intended to participate in that and mentioned that he had spoken to you recently and there was some talk of a fitness regime of some sort involving riding.

L also went on to say that the BRW Corporate triathlon might be a good one to look at.

So like any good geek I did a little research - seems that the "Ironman", whose name fits well with the little steak club has a swim of 3.8km, a ride of 180km, and a run of just over 42km. Now I'm sweating just thinking about that. I'd need closer to 30 years to prep for that. I looked at the BRW - luckily it's a 400m swim, 10k cycle and 4k run. So a little more achievable.

Now... guess what - the BRW race needs teams of 3 :) It works in a relay fashion - person 1 swims, rides, runs, then person 2 then 3.

Looking at the times of the last race - they look like this:

2006 MELBOURNE SUMMARY RESULTS

Overall Team Time
1st 1:55:58
50th 2:20:52
100th 2:26:10
250th 2:33:02
500th 2:40:24
750th 2:46:12
1000th 2:53:02
1250th 3:01:01
Last 3:54:13

Now, I'm not sure if that's measured in hours, days or weeks, but I
figure if we can beat the bottom time, we'll be doing ok.

It seems to run in Febuary - so Feb 2009 - about 25 months off. It's running at Elwood - so not far away, and we can always duck down to the stokehouse for a steak afterwards.

What do you reckon? Are you up for it?

I received answers in the affirmative, only the guys were keen to go for 2008 rather than 2009. I'm going to have to seriously lose some weight so I can run without blowing out a knee or something.

No comments: